Captions and how they are useful (Module 1)

Sep 17, 2015 at 7:54 PM by Jeff Clemens

We often talk about how curb cuts are great for people who use wheelchairs, but are also great for many other activities as well, ranging from pushing a baby stroller to skateboarding. Captioning is like an electronic curb cut.

Share your own experiences regarding captioning with the course mentor, as well as others who may be taking this course at the same time as you.

How have captions been useful, or even entertaining, to you and others you know? Can you add or elaborate on any of the ideas presented in the two lists above: “Ten Top Reasons to Caption” and “Some Educational Benefits of Captioning”.

5 Replies

Céleste C.
Jan 28, 2016 at 12:29 AM

I personally find that captions are too quick for me to read alone. However, I am usually able to follow it while also hearing the audio component at the same time. I do believe that captions helps me to retain information and has a positive influence in language and reading skills.

Captions have been very useful and plays a great part in the deaf community. Captions guides and influences which videos and movies my deaf friends can and can’t watch. Recently, in an ASL facebook group (American Sign Language group), someone recently posted a video on the importance of closed captioning and encouraging YouTubers to take that extra bit of time to add closed captions making their videos accessible to more individuals. This comes to show that we still have some work to do on accessibility.

Natalia
Jan 27, 2016 at 9:19 PM

I have a mild hearing loss, as well as tinnitus, so I have been finding captions helpful for a number of years now.
While I can watch content without captions, I often have to do so with headphones (to focus sound), volume raised up up up, and sometimes still am forced to pause-rewind-repeat a phrase I couldn't hear - a system doesn't work very well when watching content with company. Captioned video obviously alleviates these difficulties, but it is not readily available unfortunately.

As already mentioned, captions are great at improving literacy and comprehension whether in the native or second/third/nth language! I have found they also help with pronunciation for language-learners. When I first came to Canada, I read voraciously to build up my vocabulary and understanding of grammar/syntax/etc., but this did not help with pronunciation, while watching captioned TV programs did just that! I imagine it would work the same for young children.

Jessica Geboers
Jan 25, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Although my disability does not effect my hearing in any way, I can relate to the importance of such an accommodation in how one experiences the world around them.

I also think captions can be useful to many different types of people in many situations. I've turned on the cations when I am unable to watch (often Netflix or iTunes) with sound or need to keep the volume low in order to accommodate my environment. I've also turned the captions on when trying understand a thick accent or foreign language. My boyfriend sometimes finds it helpful to turn on the captions when we watch a tv show or movie in order to fully understand what is being said by seeing it, in addition to hearing it. 

Alyssa
Dec 4, 2015 at 2:55 AM

I have used captions on Youtube and noted the wide spectrum from completely inaccurate to completely accurate. I have also used captions on Neflix, which are consistently better. It is useful on occasions when unfamiliar terms that are difficult to pronounce come up. Sometimes, there will be a caption for a background noise that I do not hear, despite being hearing and having it at a good volume level. This suggests to me that the person writing them may be working from a script and not just listening.

Additionally, I have witnessed that some people are resistant to showing captions even when they are available. Mostly, I believe this comes down to audism, however, I have heard that it is occasionally because people with conditions such as ADHD may feel that they make it harder for them to focus.

Donald
Nov 27, 2015 at 9:02 AM

Captioning has play such important role in the world we live today. Captioning as help me to have a better understanding of any movie. i bought a movie DVD title "Strike Back" it was an action movie full of suspense but, without the help of captions i would'nt have understand the full story in the movie. 

Captioning also help in learning foriegn languages. there are movie that are subtitle in french while some are in arabic, many young people use this opportunity to learn and speak other languages.

Captioninig catches the attention of young ones, people who can only read but cannot cope with british spoken grammer, it gives a full understanding of what the movie is all about.

As a matter of facts, a friend of mine learn french through constantly watching movies that are subtitle in french.

Captioning is a brilliant innovation for the deaf and dumb.

Thanks,

Donald.

Alyssa
Dec 22, 2015 at 2:15 AM

Hi Donald,

I just wanted to clarify that by "dumb" I think you are meaning to refer to people with intellectual or learning disabilities?

Thanks,

Alyssa

Taghreed Al-Zubaidi
Dec 21, 2015 at 11:49 PM

I do agree with Donald, captioning is helping to learn and strengthen the knowledge of languages, great point Donald!